Manty (with beef or mutton)
Manty is a traditional meat dish in Central Asian cuisines.
It consists of minced meat wrapped in thin dough and steamed in a special multi-level steamer called mantyshniza. However, it is very popular in Russia, Ukraine and is cooked on big holidays. It can be called a family dish. All family takes part in cooking it and then eats together at a big table.
I shall tell you about preparation of a traditional, celebratory dish in our family, named Manty.
500 g of flour
1/2-3/4 cup of water
salt for taste
1 kg of beef or mutton
0,5 kg of onions
2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
1. Sift the flour on to a board, shaping it as a hill, make a deepening in the middle, add 1 egg into it, add water. Knead the dough.
Well began is half done!
2. Knead the dough well until plastic and easily rolled into a ball. Leave it under cling film for 30 min. Divide it into 3 big pieces, roll each out thinly.
3. Add the crushed garlic, chopped onions, salt and pepper to the minced meat.
It is possible to add spicery to the minced meat which will give aroma and taste (zira or coriander). Mix.
4. Use a cup to make identical circles. Put the meat on to each circle.
5. Brush the edges with egg and pinch the opposite sides together.
6. Continue pinching the way it is shown on the picture.
Now you have the letter H, and you need to pinch together its top and bottom ends. You can start cooking it immediately or after an hour putting in to the freezer.
7. Butter the steamer's grids and put the manty on them. Steam for 40 min covered.
Grease with butter, and sprinkle with green onions.
Red pepper for fans of a spicy food:
So the dish when ready looks. It is beautiful, isn’t it?
Our holidays with manty!
The more you have, the more you wont!
One with a plough, seven with a spoon!
They always say:
- We might be very good friends, but our tobacco is of different brands!
There is the opinion of my colleague Tatiana:
- In my opinion, even the most severe people become softer, when eating manty. Taste of manty is so delicious and it is so tender, that simply melts in your mouth.
Try it yourself – you won't regret!